Friday, February 3, 2023

Grampa



MATTHEW 'MIKE SIMON/SIMONS




WHAT I THINK I KNOW


We grew up hearing stories from my dad about his father.  He was from Cumbola, Pennsylvania, he was a bootlegger, belonged to the Purple Gang. He was shot in the leg bringing whiskey back across the Detroit River dumped it all in the river but was arrested.



He was sent to Eloise, a hospital at the time that housed indigents, etc., and was ordered to work in the barber shop there while recovering, and there he met my grandmother Marion Marshall Wise, LPN.



Dad always said his father was born in Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Dutch he said, however the only family I could find in Cumbola, Pennsylvania said they were from Austria-Slovenia.  


Cumbola [Blythe Twp] Schuylkill County Pennsylvania
1910




Swissvale, Alleghany County, Pennsylvania
1920



Detroit Free Press  May 17, 1927


Estral Beach is a village in Berlin Charter Township in Monroe County 












No comments:

Post a Comment